There are several steps children can take to prevent cavities and tooth decay. Our pediatric dentists and team recommend that your children follow these guidelines to help minimize their chances for developing cavities:
- Brush and floss your teeth two times per day using a soft bristle tooth brush, brushing along the teeth and the gums.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste starting at 1 year of age.
- Chilren younger than 3 should use a smear or the size of a grain of rice.
- Children older than 3 should use a pea size amount.
- Maintain a balanced, healthy diet with a limited amount of very sugary or acidic foods.
- Visit our office at least twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam.
- Ask our team about dental sealants and fluoride treatment to see if they are right for your child's smile.
To learn more about preventive care, we invite you to call or visit us today!