Pediatric Dental Emergency Care in New York
Gentle, Effective Care for Dental Emergencies
A dental emergency is a situation that requires prompt attention from a dental professional. At our office, we understand that you cannot always plan when your child will need our care. If your child experiences a dental emergency, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible.
Our team will schedule your child to meet with our pediatric dentists as soon as possible so that they can receive the care they need.
We are happy to care for several types of dental emergencies, including:
- Severe, lasting toothaches or other types of tooth pain
- A lost dental restoration, such as a lost filling or crown
- Damage to the soft tissues of the mouth, including the tongue, cheeks, lips and gums
- A cracked or fractured tooth
- A chipped or broken tooth
- A partially or fully knocked-out tooth
What to Do With a Broken Tooth
If you experience a broken or knocked-out tooth, it's vital to contact a dentist immediately. Seeking immediate attention from an emergency dentist within one hour of the incident significantly increases the chances of safely reinserting the tooth into its socket. Furthermore, a dentist can provide a comprehensive explanation for the fracture or knock-out, addressing any underlying concerns. However, if you're unable to visit the dentist promptly, here are some recommended actions:
- Safely preserve the broken pieces or the knocked-out tooth.
- Thoroughly rinse your mouth with warm saltwater.
- Reduce swelling by applying an ice pack or cold compress to the cheek or lips.
- Cover the broken tooth with dental cement or keep the tooth piece moist by placing it in a suitable fluid.
- Alleviate discomfort by taking over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or Tylenol.
Remember, these measures offer temporary relief and should not replace professional dental treatment. It's crucial to seek timely assistance from a dentist to ensure appropriate treatment and a positive outcome.
Contact Our New York Emergency Dentists
If your child suffers from one of these conditions or another type of dental emergency, please contact our office. Our team will also be able to provide you with instructions on how to take care of your child’s smile until they are able to come to our office to meet with us.