Pediatric Dental Care for Your Child’s First Dental Visit in New York
Begin Healthy Habits From an Early Age
Our office can help your child prepare and feel comfortable with their appointment. Dr. Robert N. Goldsmith, Dr. Jessica Lynch, and our dental team are ready to help your child start his or her journey to better oral health today!
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children visit a pediatric dentist to receive an initial dental exam within 6 months of their first tooth erupting and/or around 1 year of age. These first visits to the dentist are designed to establish a dental home and help your child begin developing positive associations with visiting the dentist.
A typical pediatric dental appointment at West Side Kids Dental will include the following:
- The dental staff will greet you and your child.
- You will receive a tour of our state-of-the-art facilities.
- We will review the health history of your infant and your family.
- The dentist will ask about your child’s oral habits, pacifier use, diet, and general development.
- We will perform a gentle examination of your child’s teeth and gums, during which we will note any teeth that may appear in coming months.
- Our doctor and team will provide advice on brushing, flossing, how to prevent oral injury, fluoride intake, and other topics to help you keep your child’s mouth healthy at home.
- We will provide a description of your child’s current oral health in detail and make any needed recommendations about oral habits, toothbrushes and toothpaste, diet, and pacifiers.
- A schedule of regular appointments will be created by our team for your child.
- We will address your questions and concerns.
You can help your child feel happier and more comfortable in the dental office by being positive and calm. You can encourage your child to develop positive associations with visiting the dentist by avoiding threatening language and providing positive explanations about what will happen during the appointment.